If you’re during hurricane season, there’s a lot you can do to prepare for it to protect your family and your house. You might not have been affected by far, but it can never hurt to be prepared. From the emergency preparedness kit to following some hurricane preparation tips can help you get through the storm. Preparing beforehand can help you reinforce your home’s structure to prevent wind and water damage. It is always best to follow the instructions issued by local government and move to a shelter with your family to stay protected.
Here’s a breakdown of the dos and don’ts to follow before, during, and after a hurricane!
Hurricane Preparation Tips Do Before
Here’s what you need to do if a hurricane is heading your way:
- Prepare an emergency preparedness kit gathering different items, including batteries, flashlights, water bottles, a first aid kit, a battery-powered radio to stay informed, mobile charges, and other important items you can think of.
- Know every possible evacuation route. The best is to listen to the officials about evacuation.
- Buy gas for your cars and generators
- Move any items placed outdoor that can blow away and create more damage in the surroundings
- Clean debris on your gutters and downspouts to ensure easy water flow
- Don’t forget to turn off propane tanks
- If possible, cover your windows with a protective layer to prevent breakage
- Ensure to properly seal your home and roof
Hurricane Preparation Tips Don’ts During the Storm
- Don’t ignore the instruction and evacuation orders of the local government to protect in case the storm intensifies.
- Keep generators off in a closed space or indoors.
- Stay away from windows during the hurricane
- Don’t use electrical equipment to avoid electric shock.
- Do not drink from tap water unless local government announce the tap water to be safe.
- During such situations, water can even flow in quickly inside the building
- Avoid standing water
- Stay away from driving
- Don’t panic. Following some simple tips and staying updated with the local government and weather updates, will help you and your family get through the storm easily.
Hurricane Preparation Tips Dos After the Storm
- Keep your refrigerator’s door closed to keep them cool for as long as possible
- Watch for any structural damage or download power lines
- Take pictures of the damages for insurance purposes
- If you detect water damage, immediately contact a local roofing contractor near you for a quick roof repair.
- Inspect your roof to check if your shingles are fine.
- Check your siding for damage. The right moves at the right time will help you save your house.
Roof Repair Near Me!
Are you during the hurricane season and looking for a roof repair or roof replacement by a local roofing company in Norwalk, CT? Contact Riga Home Improvement a trusted roofing company that offers roofing, siding, and repairs in Norwalk, CT, and its surroundings. Entrust your roof shingle replacement and repair to the licensed and insured team and get the peace of mind you deserve. Contact us today to learn more or to get a free quote!